Why Success in the Family (4)
You are welcome to the concluding edition in Jesus' Mighty Name! By the enabling power of the Holy Spirit, I have been able to show you reasons why your marriage must succeed, the principles of a successful home, and the dangers of lack of success in marriage. Today, I shall be teaching on a subject which I titled, ‘Mind your tongue'.
The tongue is an important part of our human make-up as it affects our daily triumphant living. The Word of God says: Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof (Proverbs 18:21). This part of our system is so important; it determines whether we live or not. God has promised to grant the desires of your heart this year. You need to always say only what you want to have. You may desire life, but if you permit your tongue to speak death, you cannot have anything but death. The Word of God says: … He shall have whatsoever he saith (Mark 11:23).
What are you saying to your life this year? Are you speaking God's Word and promises or are you saying negative things to your life? Life is a choice. Choose whether to use your tongue to bring about peace in your home or not. The tongue is either for blessing or cursing. As you use it, you reap its fruits. The Word of God says: What man is he that desireth life, and loveth many days, that he may see good? Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile (Psalm 34:12-13).
Every good tree brings good fruit, while a bad tree produces bad fruit. What do you want in your family this year? I don't care how much you can pray, fast or give, you will still reap the fruits of your lip. Keep your mouth from speaking evil. The Word of God says: A man's belly shall be satisfied with the fruit of his mouth; and with the increase of his lips shall he be filled (Proverbs 18:20). Your home shall be satisfied with the fruit of your mouth. What is happening to you now is not the work of any devil, neither is it any witch near your house, but rather, it is the fruit of your tongue.
The words of your mouth are seeds. When you plant them in your home, they begin to germinate and bring forth the kind of fruit your seed is made of. In Matthew 16:19, we are told that whatsoever you bind on earth shall be bound in heaven, and that which you loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven. You bind and loose with your tongue, therefore, determine how to use your tongue. Your tongue is creative. Use it well. Our God is not a purposeless God. For everything He created, there is a purpose. He created the tongue for a purpose.
God wanted to create a world that would be very good. His desire was implanted deep in His heart. The day He gave voice to His desire, our world was born. When He looked at all He had made, He put a final stamp of approval and declared them, "Very good" (Genesis 1:13). Even if the creation work was very good, as soon as God proclaimed that it was very good, the earth adjusted. Whatever good you desire to see in your home, speak it into being.
From the Word of God, we understand that there are different types of tongues. God will not force anything on you. He has given you a will to choose that which will benefit you and bring about all- around happiness to you. We have:
1. Wholesome Tongue: (Proverbs 15:4) It is a healing tongue. It is spirit-filled. It heals the heart of the weary.
2. Soft Tongue: (Proverbs 25:15) It breaks the bone. It dissolves anger. It pacifies. (See Abigael - 1 Samuel 25)
3. Just Tongue: (Proverbs 10:20) It brings about deliverance. It produces life. It delivers the oppressed. It delivers one from fear. It speaks only the truth.
4. Tongue of Wisdom: (Proverbs 15:2) This has no relevance with age. It correctly applies knowledge. It speaks with grace and the wisdom of God.
5. Lying Tongue: (Colossians 3:9; Leviticus 19:11; Proverbs 12:20-22) This is a tongue that makes false statements with the intention of deceiving another person.
6. Deceitful Tongue: (Psalms 50:19-22; Psalm 52:2-5) A tongue full of deceits. It eventually brings about destruction.
7. Flattery Tongue: (Proverbs 6:24) Speaking wrong words of praise to destroy.
8. Slanderous Tongue: (Genesis 39:7-20) Destroying another person's character.
9. Backbiting tongue: (Proverbs 25:23) Speaking evil concerning a person in his/her absence.
10. Double Tongue: (1 Timothy 3:8) Saying different things in deceit to suit yourself.
11. Perverse Tongue: (Proverbs 17:20) It is a foolish tongue. Talks without having a purpose for talking. Argues unreasonably.
12. Sharpened Tongue: (Psalm 140:3) Full of poison. Ready to murder. Speaking words of destruction to other people's destiny. It incites evil between people.
13. Excessive Talking: (Proverbs 10:19) Talking without break. Gossiping.
Dear reader, of all listed above, which do you choose? Or rather, which is your own? The Bible encourages us to constantly examine ourselves and make amendments. Which of them is operational in your life now? Is it the positive one or negative? Examine yourself and make amendments. As it affects you, your family and all around you, let there be changes in your tongue this year. You will no doubt reap the fruits.
Determine to reap good fruits by the words of your mouth. Ask God to touch your lips with His coal of fire, even as He did to Isaiah (Isa. 6:5-7). This year, by the words of your mouth, you can turn the situation in your home from bad to good, from good to best, and from shame to glory. Speak well concerning your husband or wife. Let words of grace come out of your mouth to your children. Refuse to talk like the people of the world concerning your business.
You must be born again in order to obtain that success you desire in your home. Please say this prayer and be born again: Dear Lord Jesus, I come to You today as a sinner. Forgive me of my sins. I believe You died and rose on the third day for my sins. I accept You as my Lord and Saviour. Make me a child of God today.
Congratulations, you are now born again! I believe that you will begin to experience the reality of the price that Jesus paid for your sins at Calvary. All-round rest and peace are guaranteed you, in Jesus' Name!
Call or write, and share your testimonies with me through:
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org Tel. No: 08141320204; 07026385437; 07094254102
For more insight, these books authored by me are available at the Dominion Bookstores in all Living Faith Churches and other leading Christian bookstores: Marriage Covenant, Making Marriage Work, Single With A Difference, Building A Successful Family, and Success In Marriage (Co-Authored with Bishop David Oyedepo).